With only five sewn seams for this poncho, this is the perfect pattern for a gratifying project for beginners to advanced sewists. The Zero Waste Poncho is a wrap shawl garment, with a tie waistband and an optional bow. Depending on your fabric choice, the garment is perfect for seasonal transitions and staying covered in the hot sun or staying warm in the cooling seasons.
The Zero Waste Poncho is a pattern revival from my collection in 2012.
Sewing Level: Beginner
Fabric Recommendations: A light to medium weight woven fabric with good drape such as Boiled Wool, Tweed, Wool Gabardine, Merino Wool, Flannel, and Fleece. Can also be made from lightweight fabrications to complement other seasons such as Cotton, Crepe, Linen, Poplin, Challis, Voile, Pique, Gingham, and Lawn. The lighter the material, the more flow the garment will have.
Pattern File Details
- Patternless Print at Home Pattern Instructions in English, Spanish, and French
One Size. This design will fit a 32.5 bust (82.55cm) up to a 42.5 bust (35.5cm). This is a patternless design, made directly onto fabric from your personal measurements and easy to complete.
The poncho is designed for a height of 5'7" (170cm) and can be easily modified to fit your measurements.
Yardage and Notions Required:
- Fabric 2 yards (2 meters) of fabric with a width of at least 58” (148cm) for all sizes of the poncho.
- Scrap Fabric If you are using alternative material for your sash (i.e. less bulky or short on yardage, you will need 0.5 yards (0.45 meters), which you should be able to find in your stash (or piece together).
- Chalk for Marking Fabric
- 4 yards (3.65m) or Approx 2 packs of Extra Wide, Double Fold Bias Binding (1/2 in wide 1.27m)
- Fusible Hem Tape (Optional)
- Matching Thread
**Please note you will not receive a physical pattern, you will receive a zip file to download. When you purchase your pattern you will be sent a link to download the files. This link is only valid for 24 hours so be sure to save it onto your computer right away.**